
Wow...November 5th was the First Annual Race for Hope 5K (3.1 miles) to Benefit the Brain Tumor Society. I had signed up, as well as with some of my family members, to take part in this inaugural event.
Well, I had planned to run--not really believing that I could. But, at the starting line, I geared up for it. As the siren went off, I ran. I started the first mile slowly, practicing my yoga breathing (our yoga instructor Lori would be happy!). I made it to mile 1 with a 9:45 pace. I started to slow down to a bit of a walk, b/c my breath got away from me. However, I'd start right back up again. I got some water at the first stand and kept on running.
You literally run up and back (the mid-point is an orange cone you circle around). I kept on running (with a little few steps of walking in between). I nearly lost the water I gulped down at the H2O station at mile 2. But, I kept going. David and I leapfrogged our way through the 5K. Just about near the finish line, we saw Barb coming back. She had already finished and had her time clocked, but came back to run in with the two of us.
Those last few hundred feet, I couldn't believe it...I certainly got more energy and nearly sprinted to the end.
All in all, I am so greatful for the friends and family that came out that morning to support me by running or walking. I am really proud of my husband, who ran the entire 5K!
The big surprise came later that morning when some of us stayed for the awards ceremony. I knew that the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania was a major sponsor of the event. Survivors all received a hat that day with the Department of Neurosurgery's logo on back (I jokingly refer to it as my body shop). Well, Dr. Sean Grady, head of the department came to the microphone to speak. As he was finished, Dad made his way through the crowd to chat with him. He asked, "Is Kevin Judy here?" Dr. Grady replied "Yes, over there". Lo and behold, we were nearly right next to the guy!!
Had to say hello and shake his hand. He and some of his staff were there and I'm pretty sure he ran in the event. Needless to say, I thanked him for his support of the event as well as his talent. Without his skill, I wouldn't be the same old Erin I am today.
Ok, so one last surprise hit me on Tuesday (other than the aches and pains) when the race results were emailed to everyone. I was the 3rd place finisher in the female/survivor category. Could not believe it!
All together, we raised $1,831. WOW!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment